Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Preparations and Bonding

We are at T Minus 10 weeks, 4 days today.

Preparation

Last weekend we bought the Cot and mattress for our baby from Babies-r-Us in Hove and various other smaller items. However the Cot somehow seemed a big milestone in the process of preparation. This was a cot bed and is potentially the item our child will sleep in for some years. For me and I think my wife, it was a really big deal and somehow made the whole thing seem more real. I don’t have the constant reminder with me like my beautiful pregnant wife does. So these decisions and purchases bring home the reality that, God willing, we will have a baby to look after in a few weeks time.

That may seem weird but we go through our daily lives, getting on with what we have to get on with and dare I say it you forget how your life is about to drastically change in ways I simply cannot imagine.

Bonding

Given that we only have around 10 weeks to go and possibly far sooner, my wife has a wonderfully developing bump, Or Model bump according to the Midwife. The baby is moving, kicking, punching and this can be visibly seen. At first I found this to be quite weird when I felt the baby kick for the first time weeks ago. Now I really like it and find it exciting and cute.

It confirms to me they are alive and kicking so to speak and here lies something I realised today triggered by a horrific news story and from a TV program. I already feel a huge amount of love and an enormous desire to protect my child from harm. They are already embedded in my heart as part of me. I get anxious when the baby is not moving about, much to the annoyance of my wife. I say hello to the bump and hope my child recognises my voice when born.

Goodness knows what I will be like when they are born. I really don’t want to be an over protective Dad. I am overprotective of my Cats let alone a child. I believe a child needs to learn by doing and making mistakes along the way. All part of the learning to be a parent process that I hope to be making in a few months.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,
    It's so exciting that you're so excited! I've followed your Blog, hope that's OK, I found you on the MummyBloggers site or whatever it is. Look forward to reading more about your journey into parenthood. Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks and welcome to my little Blog.

    ReplyDelete